Reviewed Items Can be Found at "The SGT PREPPER MARKET"

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

7" Hunting Knife with Fire Starter


"This is the Mini Full Tang Survival Knife Magnesium Fire Starter. The Blade of the knife has been constructed from 440 Stainless Steel with a tanto point. The sheath is tough green nylon with a belt loop. The knife includes a magnesium rod fire starter."

We've all seen this knife on the auction sites and some of you probably have one tucked away in a drawer or backpack. Let's face it, this is a cheap knife. But is it worth buying?



First of all, don't be confused by the pictures you see, this is a small knife. It's only 7 inches and about half of that is handle. That means you have a little over 3 1/2 inches for the handle. While this might be fine for a small woman, it just won't work for a man, especially when you need to actually use it as a knife.




If you read my previous review of the new Gerber Bear Grylls Survival knife, you'll remember that I mentioned a knife that would dull itself simply by cutting rope... I think I made my point!

Speaking of point, I do like the fact that this knife has a tanto blade. This is one of my favorite designs, because of it's superior punture strength. Heck, I fella never knows when he'll have to beat-up a 55 gallon drum... just saying! But with this knife you had better stay with an aluminum beer can instead.

The fire starter? Strike, strike, snap! When it comes to survival, there is no room for tools that you can't depend on.

While the sheath has the military look, it doesn't stand up to repeated use, like putting the knife in and out of the sheath. Seriously??? It's construction is very poor. On some of these knives, even the paracord is an imitation, made from cotton fiber.

I am not one who thinks that a good knife needs to be expensive. Many of the ones I carry on a regular basis are inexpensive, but well-made knives. But even if this knife were priced at .99cents, it would still not be a good deal, because it gives the user a false illusion of being prepared. Heck, it doesn't even make a good throwing knife. I know because I tried to hit the trash can several times and missed.

If you already have one of these, get it out of your BugOut Bag and use it to open your mail instead. Don't fret. We'll be reviewing some knives that are inexpensive but fantastic. In fact, one of them is my absolute favorite. I look forward to sharing that one with you.


Check out the "Prepper's Theme Song - I am a Patriot" @ The Prepper Daily http://prepperdaily.com